Monday, December 5, 2011

Cruel Intentions


If I hadn't gone to a business school, I would have gone to a French film school. Why? Well, because films encompass every form of art I've ever appreciated. In certain cases, it's a composite of literary adaptations, you've got crazy cinematography/photography, you've got ingenious tracking shots, and perhaps my favorite part - if you're lucky you get some badass soundtracks.

When Cruel Intentions first came out, I was dying to see it. Not because it was a modern adaptation of Les liaisons dangereuses, I didn't figure that out until I had actually watched Dangerous Liasions with Glenn Close and John Malkovich. Mostly because I was determined that I would one day meet and marry Ryan Phillippe. Of course, I was far too young to watch it. Somehow I managed to sneak in a pirated DVD into my room at 13 years old. 90 minutes later, my inevitable marriage to Ryan Phillippe became second to my obsession to one day become a writer for the Rolling Stone.

The prepubescent teenager of the 90's who was dealing with matters of the heart needed that soundtrack like the late 50's needed Presley and Jailhouse Rock. The Beatles, Presley, Led Zeppelin had come and gone. We were stuck with Spears, Aguilera, and NYSNC - for some reason music was becoming stupider and stupider. She's All That's partake on what a thirteen year old needed to croon to undermined my own self respect. Insert Placebo, Blur, Marcy Playground, and delete Sixpence None the Richer's Kiss Me - and the Cruel Intentions Soundtrack was my music bible.

Here's how it goes:

Marcy Playground - Comin' Up from Behind


Placebo - Every you, Every Me


Blur - Coffee and TV


The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony


Counting Crows - Colorblind


The Cardigans - Lovefool


Abra Moore - Trip in Love (my personal favorite)



No comments:

Post a Comment