Monday, December 5, 2011

Drive


Emilio Estevez, Molly Ringwald, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy - the Brat Pack. Some of my favorite films are Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, St. Elmo's Fire, The Breakfast Club, and all things John Hughes.

When I watched the film Drive, I could only focus on two things: Ryan Gosling, and the soundtrack. The soundtrack brought me back to the summer of 2004. The summer I fell in love with electro-pop and the Brat Pack. I was reading the infamously trashy Remember Me series by Christopher Pike, and at one point the book mentions driving by a theater that was playing Pretty in Pink. I went to the American Club that had a collection of old video cassette movies and rented myself every teen movie from the 80s. Electro-pop was everywhere.

Now Drive is the kind of movie that makes you want to ride in a 1960's Camero and crank New Order's Bizzare Love Triangle while sporting some vintage Persol sunglasses. Most of the film's soundtrack was composed by Cliff Martinez (a former Red Hot Chili Pepper). What the soundtrack ended up as was basically retro European pop; and the prelude to the DJ as a commercial artist.

Disco. Vintage Keyboards. Percussion. Strings.

What makes this movie good is its style. You've got a sexy man in a leather jacket driving at 140 mph, you've got an ethereal Carey Mulligan, and you've got songs like the ones listed below. This movie is pure sex.

Kavinsky - Nightcall


Desire - Under Your Spell



College - A Real Hero


The Chromatics - Tick of the Clock


Cliff Martinez - He Had a Good Time (I wouldn't call this electro-pop, but it's very Tree of Life-ish)


Cliff Martinez Interview


New Order - Bizzare Love Traingle (Not related to Drive, but here because it's a sick song)




No comments:

Post a Comment